Ancestry Network Home
to the Ancestry Network!
a page containing some jokes, stories, and other items on the lighter
side of genealogy.
Top 10 Indicators that you've
become a genealogy-aholic:
10. You introduce your daughter as your descendent.
9. You've never met any of the people you send e-mail to,
even though you're related.
8. You can recite your lineage back eight generations,
but can't remember your nephew's name.
7. You have more photographs of dead people than living ones.
6. You've taken a recorder and/or notebook
to a family reunion.
5. You've not only read the latest GEDCOM standard,
but you also understand it.
4. The local genealogy society borrows books from you.
3. The only film you've seen in the last year
was the 1880 census index.
2. More than 1/2 of your book collection is made up
of marriage records or pedigrees.
1. Your elusive ancestor has been spotted
in more different places than Elvis!
Why waste your money looking up your family tree?
Just go into politics and your opponents will do it for you.
- Mark Twain
In a Thurmont, Maryland, cemetery:
"Here lies an Atheist:
All dressed up
And no place to go."
Old genealogists never die, they just lose their census.
I Am My Own Grandpa
Many, many years ago when I was twenty-three
I was married to a widow who was pretty as could be
This widow had a grown-up daughter who had hair of red
My father fell in love with her and soon they too were wed
This made my dad my son-in-law and really changed my life
For now my daughter was my mother, 'cause she was my father's wife
And to complicate the matter, even though it brought me joy
I soon became the father of a bouncing baby boy
My little baby then became a brother-in-law to dad
And so became my uncle, though it made me very sad
For if he were my uncle, then that also made him brother
Of the widow's grownup daughter, who was of course my step-mother
Father's wife then had a son who kept them on the run
And he became my grandchild, for he was my daughter's son
My wife is now my mother's mother and it makes me blue
Because although she is my wife, she's my grandmother too
Now if my wife is my grandmother, then I'm her grandchild
And every time I think of it, it nearly drives me wild
'Cause now I have become the strangest 'case you ever saw
As husband of my grandmother, I am my own grandpa
I'm my own grandpa, I'm my own grandpa
It sounds funny, I know but it really is so
I'm my own grandpa
- by Dwight Latham and Moe Jaffe
climbing your family tree!